Storm Flood tips
We have talked about the Flood Terminology before in this blog and know what the weather forecaster means by the terms but what do we do about it? Let’s talk about flooding. If you live close to a flood prone area, this helpful interactive map can help you locate your home in Winston Salem or anywhere in North Carolina. Knowing and the flood prone areas nearby. If you home is prone to flooding or is close to a floodway these tips help you prepare for actions to take when you hear a flash flooding is likely in a storm event. SERVPRO of West Forsyth can help you with water damage in your home or business should you become a victim of storm damage and flooding.
- Know the routes around your home that a prone to flooding if told to evacuate these will be the roads to avoid
- Keep a bug out bag handy be sure to allow room for those important items that you use every day like medicine or a CPAP machine.
- When returning you should ask is it safe to stay in the house?
Is the electrical system of the home compromised?
Has the HVAC system in the crawl space, basement or attic been submerged?
Has wildlife i.e. snakes in the home?
- Only do what you can do safely remember wet materials will be very heavy.
- Remove excess water by blotting or mopping unfortunately this most likely will not get all of the water out of your home or business.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting. This help prevent the stain on the legs from further damaging the carpet. Depending on the length of time wet and category of water it may be salvageable.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
Some things to avoid doing after a flood
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors. Water loves to be absorbed and Mold loves these materials. Another pro tip is to store items in plastic tubs instead of card board boxes. This will protect the items and is nonporous which is helpful to preventing mold.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water. Call a professional to extract the water from carpet and pad.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging. Remember to be safe when walking around in a water compromised home or business.
We are here to help with any disaster recovery needs be sure to call us directly at 336-946-1131