How can SERVPRO help during COVID19
There is no doubt that the first half of this year have been tough on everyone. Words like unprecedented, uncertain and strange times have been bantered about. But we hope that you can take comfort that help is here to clean and disinfect your home or office should you need it. At SERVPRO of West Forsyth County we have been on numerous webinars and training's from our corporate headquarters in Gallatin TN. Understanding the protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have gained knowledge of the approved EPA products and ensuring that our proprietary labeled products are among the approved products listed on the EPA’s website.
Along with the experience of Biohazard cleaning, pathogen cleaning is simply another service we have offered for years. Standard janitorial services do not deal with biohazards in the workplace routinely. That is why you should call the experienced and well-equipped staff of SERVPRO of West Forsyth County. We will Consult with you on your work space or home. No two businesses are exactly alike and so a plan has to be created to ensure the best possible course of action. We will clean according to the agreed upon plan, again following CDC protocols and EPA approved products. We will certify that we have completed those protocols and leave you with branding and collateral that will give your employees and customers the confidence to visit your establishment, knowing that it is Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Weather you want to do something proactively for your business or you have had an active case of COVID19 on premises the professionals of SERVPRO of West Forsyth County can help during these unprecedented, uncertain and strange times. Call us directly at 336-946-1131
Deal With Storm Damage Quickly
Usually we are not as severely affected by hurricanes as coastal North Carolina. But, pop-up thunderstorms and tropical force winds here in Winston Salem can bring heavy rains and damage. We are just now getting through the wettest part of the year on average and the hurricane season has four months to go. Strong winds from storms can damage your roof and drive rain into your home. Weather stripping is not just for winter, it’s for keeping cool air in and rain water out. If you don’t have a storm door to help, ensuring that your doors and windows are weather-tight will help prevent water from seeping in. Storms tend to drive rain sideways. Did you ever hear someone say “it sounds as if it’s coming down in sheets?”
After a storm check on places that you have not been in a while. Look at the ceiling for water spots. Check the floor and baseboards for dampness. If after a few days you start to smell mildew you may have waited to late. When mold starts to grow from excess water seeping into porous materials like sheet rock, carpet, and insulation, this tends to be more expensive in the long run than to get water extracted and materials dried at the onset. Fixing the root cause of the problem will be key to ensuring you’re not having to deal with water damage again when the next storm hits.
If your home or business is impacted by storm water intrusion call us directly at 336-946-1131
Commercial Disaster Planning In The Era Of Corona Virus
Businesses in Winston Salem have put up with a lot these past two years. The shut down of business highway 40 took a toll by itself, but then the pandemic shut down those non-essential businesses. Now, some non-essential businesses have reopened only to discover water damage or have a disaster strike just when they are getting permission to reopen. They’re asking themselves how much more can they take, or else they are simply not surviving. SERVPRO of West Forsyth County can help with planning, and recovering from a disaster, so that when it does happen you will be #SERVPROready.
Our mobile app puts your emergency contacts and vendors in the palm of your hand. We will consult with you, work with you, trying to minimize the disruption to your business. We will also work to get you back up and running as quickly as possible to get to the “Like it never even happened,” as soon as possible.
No one would have ever thought that we would be dealing with a pandemic so devastating that it would limit the number of customers in our store, or even if we could open. That was unforeseeable. But knowing something could happen like water or fire damage that can disrupt your business is a realty. Knowing what could happen, and being prepared is the difference between being inconvenienced and bankrupt. Don’t wait till you think it’s safe to deal with water damage, it has to be dealt with as soon as possible otherwise it could cause secondary damage or cost you more money.
Staying safe and keeping your customers and employees safe is also of concern to business owners. SERVPRO of West Forsyth County can help there as well. Weather you have had a proactive case of Covid19 or just simply want to proactively disinfect your office or store, we can help there also. Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program will consult with you on your space. Clean that space using CDC protocols and EPA approved products. And leave behind signs to show your customers and employees that you care about their well being and safety.
If you would like to know more about the commercial services we provide call Ed Dean at 336-946-1131.
Preventing Storm Water Damage
We have talked about how to protect your home after a storm, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you’re a homeowner you know that there are always things to be done around the house. Some of the same things we talk about in winterizing your home are things to consider when preparing or maintenance needed to prevent storm water damage.
Here is our top list of things to do for preparing for a storm and preventing storm water damage.
- Gutters – you have to keep them clear they have to have the ability to let water run away from the house or business.
- Landscaping – once the water hits down spouts does water pool at the base of the home? Or, do you have a sloping landscape to allow water to run away from the home?
- Repair loose siding and roof shingles ASAP. Wind is very destructive and can loosen the barrier you have between the elements and the interior of your home. So, after each heavy storm do a walk around your home and address these issues before the next rain or storm.
- When you do your walk around look for things that in high wind could become a projectile. Loose fencing, yard tools and furniture are things that can damage your home or can even cause injury should they become airborne.
- Trees – ensure that your trees are trimmed regularly and that they are healthy. You would not want them to fall on your home and open it up to the storm.
- Sump pump – have you been to your basement lately? Is it working properly and do you have a back up plan for if the power goes out? Having a generator or battery backup UPS could save a lot of headaches in avoiding a flooded basement.
We hope you never have to deal with the issue of water damage in your home or business but we are here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us directly 336-946-1131
Water Damage Restoration Done Right Can Save You Money
Do you know what happens to water damage if not properly cleaned and professionally dried? According to FEMA mold will develop within 24-48 hours of water exposure. Even worse, it will continue to grow until steps are taken to eliminate the source of moisture, and effectively deal with the mold problem. So, what are the steps you can take to prevent mold, AKA not paying more for mold damage repairs.
Call a professional mitigation company ASAP. You may ask yourself why can’t I do this myself? To which you should ask yourself do I have the proper IICRC certifications to handle water damage restoration? Do you have the right equipment such as air movers, dehumidifiers, demo tools, extractor, just to name a few? Do you know what your insurance company will and will not pay for and an online communication program to ensure that the aforementioned equipment was monitored properly? Can you ensure not to over or under charge the insurance company for drying it to a standard of measure? And last do you have the time to deal with all of the stake holders and subcontractors later when it comes time to put it all back together.
Water damage is stressful enough because of the disruption, and it will cost, hopefully only your deductible. But it will cost you more if you don’t know how to go about it, and check the boxes that will satisfy your insurance, your mortgage company and most importantly you the home owner. The other thing that will increase the cost is if you let it go for long periods of time. Slow leaks will not go away by themselves, and left unchecked will cost more due to the mold and maybe even rot.
Calling the professionals at SERVPRO of West Forsyth County will give you piece of mind that we do have the right knowledge, equipment, relationships with insurance companies to make your water damage “Like it never even happened.”
When you have water damage, call us directly ASAP at 336-946-1131
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned For Your Business
Today’s businesses have been turned upside down this year with Covid 19. Having to shut down, waiting for the government’s permission to open back up, and implementing safety precautions to keep their customers and employees safe. SERVPRO of West Forsyth County can help business owners with this new found situation they find themselves in. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a new program that helps businesses give confidence to their customers and employees that they are shopping and working in the cleanest and safest environment possible.
Whether it is proactive cleaning in a work space that you want to ensure it has been sanitized, or you have had an employee or customer tell you that they have tested positive for Covid19, SERVPRO can Consult, Clean and Certify your business SERVPRO clean.
Understanding how you do business is part of consulting with you so that we can ensure that we are cleaning the high touch points by your customers and employees. Understanding that there are unique areas to be concerned for, such as food prep or high value electronics, helps us to determine what SERVPRO EPA registered product we will use or method of sanitizing to provide the highest quality of service.
When cleaning your business, we will use CDC guidelines, and EPA registered approved products that have been known to kill similar Corona type viruses. Using state of the art equipment we can most efficiently fog, spray and or wipe the space distributing these disinfectants.
As a part of our certifying process we will post our shield representing your commitment to the comfort and security of your employees, customers and community. Along with digital emblems and other collateral, this beacon will tell all who see it you have gone above and beyond to ensure you are SERVPRO clean.
It is best to call us directly at 336-946-1131
Storm Flood tips
We have talked about the Flood Terminology before in this blog and know what the weather forecaster means by the terms but what do we do about it? Let’s talk about flooding. If you live close to a flood prone area, this helpful interactive map can help you locate your home in Winston Salem or anywhere in North Carolina. Knowing and the flood prone areas nearby. If you home is prone to flooding or is close to a floodway these tips help you prepare for actions to take when you hear a flash flooding is likely in a storm event. SERVPRO of West Forsyth can help you with water damage in your home or business should you become a victim of storm damage and flooding.
- Know the routes around your home that a prone to flooding if told to evacuate these will be the roads to avoid
- Keep a bug out bag handy be sure to allow room for those important items that you use every day like medicine or a CPAP machine.
- When returning you should ask is it safe to stay in the house?
Is the electrical system of the home compromised?
Has the HVAC system in the crawl space, basement or attic been submerged?
Has wildlife i.e. snakes in the home?
- Only do what you can do safely remember wet materials will be very heavy.
- Remove excess water by blotting or mopping unfortunately this most likely will not get all of the water out of your home or business.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting. This help prevent the stain on the legs from further damaging the carpet. Depending on the length of time wet and category of water it may be salvageable.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
Some things to avoid doing after a flood
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors. Water loves to be absorbed and Mold loves these materials. Another pro tip is to store items in plastic tubs instead of card board boxes. This will protect the items and is nonporous which is helpful to preventing mold.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water. Call a professional to extract the water from carpet and pad.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging. Remember to be safe when walking around in a water compromised home or business.
We are here to help with any disaster recovery needs be sure to call us directly at 336-946-1131
Firework safety Fire Prevention
According to the National Fire protection agency Fireworks were the cause of over 19,500 fires in the US totaling $105 Million dollars in property damage in 2018. There is a reason why fireworks are banned from state and federal parks and federal forested land. They have the danger of causing a fire. Even sparklers burn at 2000 Degrees Fahrenheit, that is temperatures of some welding torches.
So, what can we do to celebrate with fireworks safely?
- Leave it to a professional is our #1 tip they have the knowledge and expertise. They also think about the safety of the space and products they are using.
- Keep out of reach of children both fireworks and ignition sources
- Follow the labels and directions.
- Have a water bucket and or hose handy.
- Keep pets inside they are frightened by them and could bark and run toward a firework causing it to malfunction injuring them or others or starting a fire.
- Use firework out of doors only and scope the area to ensure that there are no combustible materials that could catch fire from a spark.
- Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or throw lit fireworks period, let alone at someone.
- Only adults should be lighting fireworks keep Children and pets away.
- Never relight dud fireworks or fuses that are shorter than other like fireworks
- Light and get away never stand over or be so close that you could be hit by the firework should it tilt or fall.
- Fireworks packaged in brown paper are a sign that they were made for professional events and should be left to them.
Remember we are Fire Damage cleaning experts. Should your home or business be damaged by fire of any kind, you can trust the professionals at SERVPRO of West Forsyth County. It is best to call us directly 336-946-1131.
DIY versus paying to have water damage done right the first time
The cost of DIY when it comes to water damage could cost you a lot more in the long run. As a water mitigation expert, you would expect me to say that to drive business. But I am not just telling you that to drive business. I’m saying that you the average reader have not had the training nor the equipment to do the job the right way. In the picture you see our tech using a wand to extract the water from the carpet. What you don’t see is the commercial grade extractor unit that is truck mounted and can pull more water out efficiently than a standard residential shop vac. That is just one piece of equipment that we have in our inventory. We mentioned in another blog that your mop is not qualified. But it is for some things, just not water that happens to get below the carpet or the floor laminate.
If you have an upstairs water leak and it is enough to show a water stain on the ceiling how do you get the water that is between the floors out to prevent mold? That is where the experience and expertise of a company who’s job it is to do this on a daily basis would be valuable. Water damage is expensive enough with out the added cost of mold mitigation. Just 3 years ago according to a study by Verisk Analytics, Insurance companies in America paid more than $13 Billion dollars in damage claims in 2017. The average claim totaling $10,000.00. Mold mitigation caps on policies at $5000.00.
So, will it cost you more in the long run to take a chance and think you have all the water up? Yes, it definitely could cost you more money. Call us quickly to get started on your water damage job. Should you have to file a claim, we will help you. We work with the majority of insurance carriers and can help you through the process. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
It is best to call us directly at 336-946-1131
Time for Fire Safety
According to the Red Cross, home fires occur mostly on Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 6-7pm. This is mostly due to most home fires are related to cooking and this is the time when families are preparing the evening meal. As Spring is here and Summer approaches grilling on the back porch will also present a number of fire dangers to your home. Here are some tips to preventing a cooking fire in your home.
- Keep items that can burn, away from cooking surfaces
- Never leave a stove unattended when a burner is on.
- Turn handles of pots and pans away from the edge. Don’t let them hang off the edge of the stove top. You may bump into them and scald your self or start a grease fire.
- Keep small children out of the kitchen when cooking.
- Know what to do in case of a cooking or grease fire. Keep a lid or baking soda handy.
- Un-plug counter top appliances when they are not in use.
- Make sure the grill is more than 10 feet from the home. Never grill on a balcony.
- Be sure to stay alert when cooking Don’t set a timer thinking it will wake you should you decide to nap while the casserole is baking.
Contact SERVPRO of West Forsyth County Regarding Fire or Smoke Damage - (336) 946-1131
SERVPRO of West Forsyth County proudly serves Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Lewisville, Pfafftown, Rural Hall, and surrounding areas. We are available 24 hours /7 days a week and are ready to restore damage to your home or commercial structure. It is always best to contact us directly.