If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (336) 946-1131

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fireproof Your Fall Plans | SERVPRO® of West Forsyth County

10/27/2021 (Permalink)

You don’t have to look at a calendar to know autumn is here again. The air is crisp and so are the leaves, the Panthers are taking the field again, and the smell of pumpkin spice is quite literally everywhere.

It’s time to take to the trails and break out hoodies and Halloween decor, so get to it. But as you celebrate and decorate, make sure to keep these fire safety tips in mind.

Campfire Safety

The camping is great this time of year. Weather is cooperative, and mornings and evenings are nice and cool. Just make sure you take precautions with those fires.

Location and ignition both matter. Build your fire 25 feet or further away from structures or tents, and only use kindling and matches or a lighter. Kerosene or lighter fluid work quickly, but they’re extremely flammable and can easily lead to out-of-control spread of flames.

Keep the fire attended as long as it’s burning, and when it’s time to leave, make doubly sure that all ashes and embers are completely snuffed and that the ash pile is cool to the touch.

Leaf Burning

Those crunchy leaves are good for a couple of run-throughs for the kids, but once they’re no fun anymore, you may choose to burn them. Make sure you have proper permits and follow all local regulations.

Generally speaking, though, keep your burn pile 50 feet away from your home to keep it safe. And don’t ever burn anything manmade—it’s potentially hazardous and toxic, not to mention illegal in Forsyth County.

Space Heaters

As fall and winter progress, you may employ portable space heaters to keep yourself extra toasty on cool mornings and evenings. But be careful, as these are common culprits for home fires.

Keep heaters three feet from anything that could ignite, on level ground and away from any children’s activities. Plug them into outlets, not extension cords, and use newer models, which will turn off if they overheat or get tipped over.

Turn off your heater when you leave the room and always shut it down when you go to bed.


More on this later, but be careful with fall décor, especially where candles are involved, and unplug any hanging lights when they’re not in use.

If a fire hazard should turn from potential to reality in your home, remember the trusted leader in the recovery industry and contact SERVPRO to get your property fully restored right down to the smell of smoke.

Other News

View Recent Posts