If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (336) 946-1131

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Are you decorating safely?

11/25/2020 (Permalink)

Everyone is putting up their Christmas decorations; it makes people feel good. With all that we have been through this year, we need something to feel good about, something to celebrate. Here at SERVPRO of West Forsyth County we hope that you and your family stay safe this holiday season. So, we want to draw your attention to some things people over look in their zeal to celebrate the season.

Know your limits, your plugs are only rated for so many amps. If you look at the original packaging for your lights it has a limit as to how many can be strung together. Daisy chaining power strips and extension cords can be an electrical fire hazard. Just ask Clark Griswold.

Know your pets, twinkling lights, shiny balls and electrical cords are tempting chew toys. Bitter yuck is one product that may help train pets to not chew on cords. Also try make the cords neat so they don’t present themselves like a string chew toy.

Candles are beautiful and smell nice, but according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) over a 4 year period almost 8700 homes suffered a fire loss due to decorative candles. Consider using battery operated candles for your décor.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, so why does everyone hang stocking on the mantle? Please don’t hang flammable items near heat sources. Stockings on mantles groceries to close to stove burners, or boots and shoes to close to portable heaters. These are all possible ways to cause an unwanted fire.

Speaking of flammable objects, don’t let your tree become one. Keep it well hydrated. Needles falling to frequently are sign that it might already be a pile of kindling in your living room. Old style Christmas lights have a filament that heats up to glow, this attributes to drying out the tree.  One more tip if all the lights are not burning that may be a sign of a broken bulb and exposing the tree to an ignition source for fire.

We here at SERVPRO hope you have a wonderful Christmas and holiday. Just don’t let your Christmas tree become a Valentine tree. Call us directly 7 days a week and on holidays 336-946-1131.

Other News

View Recent Posts