Winter Storm preparedness
Wow what a start to the new year of 2020 do you remember what the temperature was on December 30th 2019? 68 degrees, we want to “snow” where winter is? Well if winter does arrive are you prepared for any of Old Man Winter storms? Here are some tips that you should think about for prepping your home.
- Insulation – heat rises and if your attic is poorly insulated then you may be throwing money right out the window. Here in Winston Salem we are actually in Zone 4 which means the R value of insulation should be R49. Most homes are R38 when built.
- Maintenance – Everything needs maintenance when you are a home owner. Your HVAC is no exception. Filters need changing regularly. When is the last time you had the furnace cleaned or duct system? We get called on 3-5 furnace puff backs a year. Are these preventable? No but they are less severe and sometimes they are preventable when a trained technician sees and or corrects a problem that could cause an issue.
- Weather stripping around doors and windows. Caulk cracks around windows using water resistant caulk on the outside of the building. Be sure to replace frayed and worn sweeper strips on the bottom of doors.
- Service your chimney, wood burning stove and fire place. Have a professional chimney sweep clean and inspect the cap annually. Never burn evergreen wood or wet wood as they create a lot of smoke and cause creosote buildup. You may have to rely on this as a source of heat if the power goes out in a winter storm.
- Guest rooms and other regularly unoccupied rooms should be closed off when not in use. This too will conserve heat.
We hope that you and your family stay safe and warm this winter. If you ever need us, we are available 24/7 at 336-946-1131